For the protection of the native Mediterranean trout Salmo cettii, the State and Regions have set up on the Italian territory some Sites of Community Interest / Special Conservation Areas for which objectives and measures are defined that guarantee the maintenance and / or improvement of the conservation status.
The 6 pilot areas in which the STREAMS project operates are located at:
- Majella National Park – PNM
- The Montemarcello-Magra-Vara Park – PMAGRA
- The National Park of the Casentinesi Forests, Monte Falterona and Campigna – PNFC
- The Sibillini Mountains National Park – PNMS
- The Pollino National Park – PNP
- The Sardinia region
In each of these areas there are multiple Natura 2000 SCIs/ SPAs, for a total of 36, within which the various sampling and conservation sites are identified for the project’s actions.